23 February, 2007

More Car Trouble

When I got tires for my car the other night (Tuesday), I decided to get some stop oil leak stuff and a couple of quarts of oil for my car. I have had a slow leak for awhile, and I figured since I was there, I could pick those items up. Wednesday night I noticed that my oil light was on my dashboard. So last night, I added three more quarts of oil thinking that would help. It didn't

As I was driving home last night, the car's pickup was noticeable decreased, and the car was spewing a lot of smoke from the exhaust. The heavy smoke only happened a few times. The car was still driveable so I decided to at least try and get it to the shop, was about ten miles away. After about ten minutes of driving, the check engine light came on, but the car was still running.

I plodded along and got the car to the shop, luckily both of the mechanics were in and I was telling them what was going on. At one point they said it sounded like a head gasket, which would be a lot of money.

The Mrs and I talked last night and if the car needs too much work, we will get a new one, which of course we don't have the money for but we need two cars. This car is almost 15 years old, and has served us well, so if it to meet its demise, it was a very reliable car, and will be retired with honor.

I took the train to work today. I will find out later today what the damage is. We may be car shopping this weekend

--gfo

No comments: