19 February, 2007

The Deli Run

Every Sunday, I go to the local deli and get the week's lunchmeat and cheese order, rolls, and if needed chips. If one or both of the kids are with me they get some candy or other treat(s). I usually make out better, money wise when I go myself as I don't get the bombarded with the Can I get this question, every 6.5 seconds.

I am such a regular that the guy that works at the deli knows exactly what I want as soon as I walk through the door, I just tell him the usual and he starts slicing right away.

My typical order is:
  • One pound of American Cheese
  • ¼ pound of Swiss Cheese (for me, I am the only one who likes it)
  • ½ pound of Ham (me)
  • ½ pound of Bologna (kids)
  • ½ pound of Turkey (Mrs)
  • 8 rolls, 4 long, 4 round

Usually runs me around 20-25 bucks, which if you calculate that out on the high end of 25 bucks, at 19 lunches for the four of us for the week, (I am of Friday afternoon's) comes out to $2.08 per lunch. Usually by Tuesday we are using bread because the rolls are typically gone within a day or so, and bread add's another 2-3 bucks a week if we don't already have it. Still, going to the deli once a week is probably one of the best food investments we make of all the food purchases.

I just finished my lunch, and it was pretty darn good. Ham and Swiss on a long roll.

--gfo

No comments: