27 June, 2007

Thoughts on Fans and Concessions

As I blogged about earlier today, my family and I went to the Phillies/Reds game last night at Citizen's Bank Park. We had great seat, just off the right field, about 24 rows back from the field. They were great seats save for the oft occurrence of the fans in front of me to trudge up and down the stairs, along with the various beer, soda, popcorn, vendors, that would obstruct our view.

Not only did I find these people annoying, I also felt it was also unsafe, considering our proximity to the field. So any hard hit foul ball could easily knock one of the these folks out.

At one point my boy had to go to the bathroom, I guess it was about the seventh inning, and it was only then that the ushers were stopping people from returning to their seats until there was a stoppage in play. I should note that, we made our pit stop in between innings which is when folks should go the restroom, or concession stand, etc. If not for their own safety but so people can watch the game without having to look around them.

You can't do this kind of stuff at theatrical performances, why should you do it at the ballpark.

Overall, I must say that CBP, is a great place to see a game. Its my third time there, and there is no comparison between it and the old Vet. I have been to Camden Yards in Baltimore and I was very impressed with that stadium, but I have to say that CBP, is much nicer.

Although the concession prices are ridiculously high, here are some of what I can remember:
  • Beer, $6.75
  • Soda, $6.25
  • Bottled Water, $3.25

I nearly died when I saw the price of one beer, and that was a 12 ounce bottle, and this was Miller Lite and Budweiser, not even a good beer that is worth that much. You can almost buy a case of them for the price.

Gone are the days when going to a baseball game or any professional sport for that matter is a cheap night out for the family. I figure between tickets, parking, souvenir's, and food, we dropped well over $200.00. Its a wonder this a normally a once a year event for us.

Boy Aramark has a sweet deal, and must be making a mint down there.

--gfo

No comments: