13 June, 2007

A Little Spring Cleaning

The other morning, I dropped my bicycle computer (speedometer, odometer, etc) that I use on my bike that is attached to a trainer which allows me to ride my bike indoors, in my garage. It was a fluke thing really. I was carrying it downstairs with the intention of reattaching it to my bike but had inadvertently taken it with me to the car. I was carrying it with my palm pilot, cell phone, and car keys, so my hands were kind of full. As I got into the garage it went flying out of my hand, and onto the garage floor. This thing is about the sized of a matchbook but its about and inch or so thick. I felt around the floor a little bit and came up empty handed, and since I was headed to the office, I figured I'd look later.

I forgot that I didn't have it attached to my bike last night when I went to hop on a go for a ride. I started looking for it again, this time in earnest. I was still coming up empty. After about ten minutes of being on my hands and knees, moving around stuff and feeling around for it, I decided that started throwing out some of the crap that has accumulated over the years...

you can see where this is going.

I went upstairs, took of my cycling stuff, threw on shorts and a T-Shirt, and a pair of sneaks, grabbed two trash bags and the dust pan from the kitchen, and headed for the garage. On my way to the garage I grabbed the big wide broom as well.

As I started to move and throw stuff out, I decided to pull the car out as well to make it easier to move me and stuff around.

After purging a lot of crab, throwing out an old lawn mower and three bikes that we don't use (and are broken), and sweeping out as best I could, I grabbed the leaf blower. Any dirt or crap that was left in the garage is/was now in the back alley. By this time, the Mrs and kids are wondering what the heck I was doing

So the garage is clean, and better organized. Although it wasn't my intention for this lost item search to become a major project (a little over an hour), it was something that needed to be done, and I feel better that things are more organized.

This was actually a good thing, as I really wanted to ride my bike as I had a really tough day. Since I like to know the exact distance I ride, I bagged it. So expending my energy cleaning the garage worked out just as well

Final tally of things removed from the garage:
  • Two full bags of trash
  • One lawnmower
  • One little kids bike
  • Two adult ten speeds
  • Various broken yard tool
  • Two trash can lids

I have two car seats (baby) that are going out as well, and a double stroller that I will probably freecycle or something.

and I never did find the damn bike computer, so I ordered a newer upgraded version.

--gfo

No comments: