04 January, 2007

Notre Dame 14 LSU 41

In a nationally televised game, the Fighting Irish got their butts whipped last night 41-14 in the Sugar Bowl (I refuse to use the corporate name).

I only watched the first half and I really like what I saw from the Irish, and was surprised when I woke up this morning to find out that the 14 points they had scored at halftime were to be the Irish's only points of the game. Darius Walker's first half performance was amazing, he was over a 100 yards rushing by ½ time. His overall numbers were impressive as well (22 carries for 128 yards, 2 receptions for 30 yards) and it looks like from his total yardage for the game that the Tiger's defense was able to shut him down for the remainder of the game. Should be interesting to see if he comes back next year for the Irish or make's himself eligible for the NFL.

Jeff Samardzija had a good game from what I saw, 8 catches for 59 yards, and 1 touchdown. He has an interesting decision to make whether he will play pro baseball or football. He was drafted by the Cub's, and based on his height 6'5" he would be a great addition to any NFL team, and has great hands. I am sure he may try to do both, but I think he is better suited for the NFL.

Quarterback Brady Quinn, a Heisman candidate this year, should be a high first round NFL pick, although his performance last night was pretty subpar (15/35, 148 yards two touchdowns, and two interceptions), his overall year was impressive.

Not a bad year overall for the Irish, 10-3 overall. Congratulations on a fine year Coach Weis.

--gfo

No comments: