12 January, 2007

Missing Socks

Probably one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in/of life is where are all the missing socks. I have a plastic shopping bag full of lonely, unmatched socks just waiting to one day be reunited with its long lost mate.
About once a month I take the aforementioned bag and dump it on my living room floor and spread each sock out individually. I usually have about a 5% success rate in matching up a pair so the effort is not all in vain. This matching attempt usually takes about 15-30 minutes, and looks rather silly if you happen to walk into my house and that time. After I go through the pile, the unmatched socks go back into the bag, and return to the cold, damp basement where they will wait another month or so to perhaps be matched, and leave the basement and be reunited with their brethern in the warmth of one of the four sock drawers in our house.
Most of the socks are kid's socks, so I will most likely throw them out after a few more unsuccessful mating attempts.
I'd still like to know where the other half of the pair went though. It defies all logic, you put things into the washer and dryer, and everything should come out, right. Pants, underwear, and shirts never seem to go missing, only socks.
We had our heating coil replace in our dryer a few months ago, no socks were found by the technician, so the dryer isn't eating them.
One other theory that I have, is that there is an island of unmatched socks, much like the fictional island of misfit toys in the classic Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer Christmas special. If such a place exists, I'd like to take my bag and try to find mates for my missing socks.
Perhaps this is a question that only God himself can answer, or maybe Congress can open hearings...although they may try to blame President Bush, but somehow I think he is not responsible for my missing socks

--gfo

No comments: