29 January, 2007

Book Review: Sea of Thunder

Most people who know me well, know that I am a big military buff, particularly World War II. Up until a few years ago, I concentrated most of my WW II studies on the ETO (European Theatre Operation). It wasn't until about April 2005 when I met a couple of WW II navy veterans of the Pacific Theatre, that I really began to read and research more into the Pacific war.

Right now I am reading a book entitled, Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945 by Evan Thomas. I am about 2/3 of the way through the book and its primarily focusing on the latter years of the Pacific War, and Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey. Its a great read and its gets the reader into the mindset of not only Admiral Halsey, but his staff, and subordinates. You also are also able to get into the mind's of some Japanese Admirals, including Yamamoto, Kurita, and Ugaki.

The book pulls no punches and is equally critical and praising of both the American and Japaneses commanders.

I got the book for Christmas from my son, and picked it up a week or so ago. I should finish it in a few days.

I must add that I am constantly using the Navsource Photo Archive website to look up the American ships mentioned in the book. Its a great website, that has pictures, facts, and almost everything else you would like to know about any ship the Navy has ever commissioned or is building. There are almost 60,000 pictures, and nearly 16,000 pages. Its a privately run website and is very well put together.

The more I read about Admiral Halsey, the more I respect him.

--gfo

No comments: