16 July, 2007

An Open Letter to Jim Rome


I don't normally listen to your show, since I can't pick up the station that carries here in Philly in my office. Today I had a doctor's appointment so I happened to catch a blurb of your show, as I was flipping through the stations in my car, on the way home from the doctor's appointment.
I heard your little rant about the Phillie's fan who was shown on the front cover of the LA Times holding a losses spelled wrong (picture above), and the turning into a tirade about the Philly fans and their reputation for bad behavior.
Yes, we did cheer when Irving was lying flat on his back, and we have had our moments of poor behavior, but it should be noted that we didn't boo Santa Claus, we threw snowballs at him, and that was almost 40 years. I think its time for the media to let that one go. Philly fans are passionate about their teams, and while I disagree with the cheering over the Irvin incident, the few incidents that the media always seems to bring up about Philadelphia and its fans gets old and is so overplayed. Philly fans are the among the most loyal in the country, and despite the lack of championships that this town has, we support our teams, not like a lot of these other bandwagon jumping fans in other cities.
I was at the game last night, and we were booing because the Phillie's sucked it up so bad, and deserved to lose the game, and the only point we were on our feet cheering was in the bottom of the ninth when the Phil's finally started to show life, and had a brief rally going, before Ryan Howard struck out to end the game.
So, before you start trashing our town, and our fan's, get your facts right. You're lucky to even have a show in this city.
You and your clones can kiss this lifelong Philly sports fan and resident's ass, and go back to coming up with meaningless banter and go out and get a life.
--gfo

No comments: