02 April, 2007

Thoughts on Toll Jersey

For the second weekend in a row, we were in the toll capitol of the world, New Jersey. The state that is free to get into, but you have to pay to get out of (no tolls on the bridges going in, but you pay going back into Philly). Some observations:
  • Gas is 20¢ cheaper per gallon than it is here in PA, and they pump it for you
  • There are almost no hills, at least in the parts of New Jersey that I have been in, which is mostly the Southern part, near the shore points. Which for a cyclist like me, is great, you can really stretch the legs out and get some good rides at speed
  • The prices for food and beverages at the rest stops are almost as bad as you pay at a stadium.
  • Almost every road as some sort of route number
  • It has some very nice and affordable homes
  • Its close to Philly but not in Philly

All that being said, I think it would be a nice state to live in. Although I have lived my whole life here in PA, NJ is definitely a state that I would move to.

--gfo

No comments: