23 April, 2007

An Eventful Afternoon

After a pretty hectic morning with the family, I was looking forward to some downtime. The Mrs had to go to work to do some paperwork, and she took the boy with her, so I could get some rest, as I had been running around all morning.

Not twenty after she leaves does the phone ring, and she tells me her car broke down. She was close enough to her work that she could walk the rest of the way. I grabbed my daughter and headed out to her car. Along the way, I thought I knew what the problem was, so I stopped off and grabbed three quarts of oil.

I got to the car, and it did exactly what she said it doing, starting up but shutting right down. I popped the hood, and checked the oil, and noticed that it was down a quart or so, so I added two of the three quarts. She has had a slow oil leak for awhile in her car that's why I thought it might be the oil. I tried starting the car back up about a minute later, and the same thing happened. So I called our Motor Club, Allstate and after explaining the problem and where we were, twelve minutes later they said a tow truck would be there within the hour.

In the mean time, my daughter and I waited for the tow, while the Mrs finished up her work. She called and said she was on her way back to the car. Which was about two miles away. Fortunately for her a co-worker noticed her and the boy walking, and give them a lift to the car.

An hour passes, no tow truck. An hour fifteen minutes passes, no truck. Finally at 1700, (I arrived at 1530 and called Allstate at 1540), I called the tow truck driver and asked him how long he will be, he said 15-20 minutes. Well it was very warm yesterday, the kids were getting antsy, and the Mrs and I were starting to get impatient. I decided to go to her car and start, what gave me that idea, I have no clue, but the car started right up. I let it run, for a few minutes, then took it for a spin around the block, with no problems. At 1730 the tow truck still hadn't shown up. We decided that if he didn't get there by 1745 that we were going to try our luck and drive the car home.

Finally at about 1740, he shows up. We explain the problem, and my solution. He concurred with me that he thought the car would be okay to drive home. I drove the car home, and the Mrs drove mine. Made it home with no problems

When I got home, I added the extra oil that I bought, plus some oil treatment to try and slow down and or stop the leak. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. I will keep tabs on the car and oil problem, and have it looked at if it continues to be a problem.

So, that was my restful afternoon

--gfo

No comments: