17 April, 2007

Somewhat Handy

This past Saturday, after having had the problem for month's, In donned my plumber's hat (I don't have a hat per Se) and a pair of vice grips to resolve a problem with our bathroom's sink. Back in December, my lovely bride dropped a piece to her nebulizer down the drain. Over the month's the sink had begun to empty slower and slower, indicating that the piece hadn't worked its way through the pipe and was in fact wedged in there.

I talked to a buddy of mine, and was going to see if I could get a hold of a snake to help me remove it. He suggested that I remove the trap, because that is where the piece was probably stuck anyway.

On a whim, and after working in the office all morning, I grabbed the vice grips, slowly and painstakingly removed the trap, which was quite a task in and of itself. After I got the trap off, I saw nothing in it, I reached up into the upper part of the pipe, and there it was, the piece to the nebulizer, wedged nicely into up drain. A little poke of my index finger and the piece came right out and as a bonus, a bunch of grime and slime.

It took a little work to get the trap back on and secured, but once secured, I ran a test and the sink emptied with no problems, and the trap did not leak. The latter being my biggest concern.

I have never been real good at plumbing related issues, save for replacing parts in a toilet, because of the fear of causing a major floor, and lack of experience. So I was pretty impressed that this minor job went through without any real problems.

As the Mrs said a long time ago, I am somewhat handy around the house.

--gfo

No comments: