21 May, 2007

The Herrs Factory Tour

Today, I took the day off from work to accompany (chaparone) my son's field trip to Herr's Food Inc. A regional snack food maker of chips, pretzel's, etc. The trip was for the kindergarten through second grade. Two bus load of kids plus about 20 parents and teachers accompanied the students on the trip. It is about an 1½ hours from the school.

We got there around 1115 and the kids all had lunch, then we went on the tour. It started out with a ten minute video of how the company was started, and grown over the years, then it was off to the factory floor for a tour. First we started out, where they make pretzels, then it was to the corn and tortilla chip part, then to the cheese curl section, finally the tour ended where the potato chips are made. The tour guide even got us some chips that were about ten seconds old.

Once that part was concluded it was off to where the snacks are actually packaged and the tour concluded at the gift shop.

The tours themselves are free and are about an hour in total. We actually spent more time in the buses than on the tour. I did bring my camera, but for proprietary reasons, no pictures were allowed. I learned a few things, but overall was disappointed, as it seems like we were rushed through the facility. Although its a very loud and busy place, so having people especially younger kids in the building most of the day would be a huge distraction

I was in charge of four kids, including my own, and I must say they were very good. I wish I could say the same for the other kids. The bus ride was loud a lot of the kids were very undisciplined, and had to be told many times to settle down.

Hat's off to all school bus drivers out there. It must be real tough driving with all that background noise.

All in all in what a nice day.

--gfo

No comments: