23 May, 2007

The Game Goes on

Last night prior to the start of our softball game, the other coach and I were informed that one of our girl's father passed away earlier that day. He was in his 50's, she is about 8 or 9. Despite her mother's objection the girl wanted to play, and she did. The girl said that Daddy would have wanted me too, and he will be watching me from heaven. She seemed okay throughout the game, played well, and even got a hit.

We didn't tell the other girls about what happened, we did tell ours (his two and mine) after the game. We kept an eye on her to make she was okay, and most importantly maintaining her focus on the game for her own safety.The girl's mother showed up about the second inning, and I offered my condolences, but I didn't know what else to say.

After the game, the other coach and I went over to the family, offered our prayers and support again, and I think its when the little girl realized what was going on, and she got real upset.

This man was one of the best parent's we had. He was at every practice, cheered every girl, even the other team, and on many occasions complimented the other coach and I on how good of a job we are/were doing with the girls. Most importantly, he let us coach.

I didn't know him well, but we could feel his loss at the game. I cried a little bit when I got home.It will be weird without him at the game's, he was our biggest cheerleader, and most supportive fan. The girl will be okay, we have a game scheduled for Friday, not sure if she will be there or not.

The game will go on, and perhaps the bond of sports will help the healing process for the girl and her family.

Rest In Peace Mr. V.

--gfo

No comments: