19 November, 2006

The First Confession

Yesterday my youngest made his first confession at his parish school, This is in preparation for his first communion which will be on 29 April 2007 at our home parish. There must have been over 50 children receiving the sacrament. There were five priests, two from St Gabe's, one for Holy Spirit, one from St George, and one from St Rose of Lima. The children had the option to go face to face, or in the confessional, with any of the five priests. Surprisingly most of the children chose the confessional. My boy chose to go face to face, and he met with our parish priest, since he was most comfortable with our priest. I noticed a few of the kids were crying prior to doing their first confession, which was to be expected.

The priests make the sacrament very easy and comfortable for the kids, no pressure, no lecturing, just an easy process for the kids. Which is the way it should be. Lest they get scared to go to confessions in the future

The parents family members were also given the opportunity to do a confession, which both my wife, daughter also did. My last confession was about six months ago, so it was good to clear my conscience and receive absolution. I met with the St Gabriel pastor, and I had the opportunity to introduce myself to him, and we had a nice little chat.

We are very proud of our son, he did a great job, and this is the first step of his Catholic faith. We are glad it was a positive experience.


--gfo

No comments: