12 October, 2006

Movie Car Chases

Over the last year I have become quite the car nut. I think it really came about when Ford redesigned the Mustang, I have also fallen in love with the Ford GT. Even my boy has become quite the car nut as well, he came name a lot the sports cars out there and his favorite car is the Dodge Charger

This love for cars has also really made me turn to Speed TV for more information on cars, and my favorite show on Speed is Pinks. I have also subscribed to four car magazines


I have always been a big fan a car chases, ever since I saw the French Connection many years ago, I have been fascinated with well done, high speed, high octane car chases.

The other morning while riding my bike inside, I turned on the TV and I had left it on Speed, and the movie Gone in Sixty Seconds was on, the 1974 version. Until then, I never realized that the 2000 version was a remake. I picked up the movie about five minutes into the chase scene, which unbeknownst to me last about forty minutes. My bike rides last about 30-35 minutes, so I was able to see most of the chase. I must say, it was very well done, a lot of great driving and crashing. I liked this movie so much that I ordered it and the remake from Amazon that morning and I plan on watching them both tomorrow afternoon.

Until I saw the Gone In Sixty Seconds chase Tuesday morning, my favorite chase scene was from Bullitt, another DVD that I bought just for the chase, IMHO the rest of the movie sucked. This classic move has the GT350 and Dodge Charger barrel assing through the streets of San Francisco has some of the best stunt driving I have ever seen.

Continuing on, my other favorite chases are:

  • The Blues Brothers
  • The French Connection

I have to give a plug as well to the movie The Terminator 3. The fact that they use a heavy duty crane make this one of the most unique chases ever. Even if you just watch that scene which is in the early stages of the movie, its well worth it.

According to some of my friends, The Bourne Identity and The Matrix have some good chases as well, so I will I have to check those movies out. If you can think of some others, let me know, and I will check them out.

--gfo

No comments: