27 September, 2008

An Update and analysis

Yesterday I finished up with my outpatient physical therapy (was going x3 days a week). I see the neurosurgeon on Monday, then it's back to the office on Wednesday.

After almost two months since the baclofen pump was implanted there is a dramatic improvement in my leg strength. I think the pump combined with the intensive inpatient and subsequent outpatient PT, plus keep up with a program at home on my non PT days has helped.

What has also helped is the getting a set of articulating ankle braces (AKA AFO's). Shown below, it prevents my foot from dropping, which has been a problem, when ascending and descending steps, or stepping over obstacles around the house, causing stumbles and falls. It is adjustable with a little screw located at the base of the upper part of the brace. I have had the braces nearly a week, and are still getting used to them. I did a session of PT with the braces and she was happy with how they worked for me. I will still be using the cane when I leave the house, but that is for my own security. The braces keep me pretty steady.



After being out of work for what will be two months, I have mixed feelings about going back. I know that I am ready to go back, but getting back into the swing of things, and trying to maintain my PT program is going to be a challenge especially with the both of the kids involved in sports and scouts, but my PT advised me to do what I can when I can as time allows.

I have to say that doing the inpatient and then outpatient PT was probably more helpful than the pump itself. Getting the pump implanted instilled the confidence in me that I had lost. Once I got back into an exercise routine, it all came back to me, and the drive and enthusiasm that I used to have came right back and I was very good with keeping up with my at home programs, and while I was in therapy sessions, I listened well, and adhered to all the suggestions. Sure I had some setbacks, and I will say that I was harshest critic, my PT team, and family were my biggest supporters and kept me motivated and on track. I have a great program that I will be following and as noted above will try and keep to despite my time limitations.

So a big thanks to Marianna and Dianne for all their help, support and direction. I could not have done it without you.

Go Phillies, and Go Eagles

--gfo

1 comment:

Just Me said...

SO good to see you are doing so well, my friend!! Keep up the great work!!!!