21 September, 2007

Steroids: Round 3

Well it took four attempts to find a good vein, but the home care nurse finally got the IV started. Normally he get's it on the first try get's the IV running and is on his way, normally a fifteen-twenty visit. Today he was here for almost 45 minutes. Lucky for me, I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and was able to tolerate the multiple sticks needed to secure the IV.

Even though the temperatures are on the mild side, I am very sweaty and no matter how much I drink, I can't seem to get cool. I also have the bitter metallic after taste that I have had after anterior infusions the last couple of months.

Overall, I think the treatments are helping, but they seem to only help for about three weeks. Usually the week I am due for my IV therapy, I notice an exacerbation of the MS symptoms, specifically spasticity in my legs, and arms, and some general weakness and fatigue. I see the neurologist in about six weeks so I will mention it to him when I visit with him,

As for the my general feeling overall. I am still having some rough periods in dealing with the emotional as well as the physical demands of the disease. Its the mental part that seems to be be the toughest part. Having another chronic disease and being as young as I am (39), really gets me down, but I have some good friends and a loving spouse that are sympathetic, and supportive, which are a tremendous help.

The physical parts seem to be going better than they were. As stated above, I think the steroids are helping with the corporeal symptoms, which is nice, as I takes the worry out of falling, losing my balance, etc. The medication regiment at this point seems to be the right combo. Having the physical part of the disease at least being managed at this point is good for my self confidence, and helps with my self esteem. Although, I still am being careful when ascending and descending stairs and walking in general.

I am still able to work, albeit I cut my hours down to 40, instead of the 50+ that I had been. Things at work have slowed down a little bit and things are calming down with the recent conversion. There are still some bugs that are being worked out, but overall the system is working well.

So that's the latest on the MS front.

--gfo

No comments: