22 August, 2008

Well It Wasn't Much

But it's a start. This morning, I started the at home part of my physical therapy, which was designed by the Moss PT and concurred too by my outpatient PT.

I started off with 15 minutes on the bike, which actually turned out to be a better ride than I thought it would. Cranked out, 4.81 miles, in 15.12. Came in at a respectable average speed of 19.00 MPH.

I had to get my monthly Solu-Medrol IV, just after I finished, so that interrupted the PT portion on my planned morning.

Once the IV ran through (takes about an hour), I went downstairs, grabbed my weight gloves and started my PT routine.

Earlier this week, I purchased a 65cm exercise ball which I used inpatient, and they recommended that I purchase one to use at home.

I did my routines, (all with dumbbells) whilst sitting on the ball; bicep curls, tricep curls, lateral raises. The routine called for 2 sets of 10-20 per exercise. The weight was about 15 pounds per dumbbell. I breezed through the bicep curls, at 20 each. The tricep exercise were a little tougher and I only managed 15 per. The lateral raises were the toughest exercise of them all, I only managed 10 per, and the last couple were a struggle. The idea of doing these exercise while sitting on the ball was to help with my balance. I only had one minor slip, nothing major, I am doing the exercises in a corner in my living so I can catch myself if I lose my balance.

After the exercises on the ball, I went to the floor and started doing bridges with the weights. By this point my arms were fried and I only managed about five reps on each arm x2.

The last exercise was to squats with the ball in the corner. Did two sets of 15 with no problems.

Probably over did it a little bit today, will try it again tomorrow, but may space it a little so I don't get as tired.

The best part of the day, was hoping back on the bike, my old friend was just as good as when I last rode it, and I think it was happy to be ridden again.

I am tired now, but I know what I need to do, and have a good plan, and most of guidance to help me along

--gfo

No comments: