11 December, 2007

A Milestone

Last night, a little after 2000, I surpassed what to me is milestone. I went over 10,000 miles of cycling miles. My total to date now stands at, 10,009.476. I started cycling in June 2002. Then it was more of a casual thing, just to supplement my running, and at that time, I had it in my mind that I wanted to a triathlon the following year.

Well less than a year later, my fitness goals, and life changed significantly,as my running career came abruptly to an end with the diagnosis of three heart conditions, most notably Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.

After a few months of inactivity, and getting the fitness bug back. I approached my cardiologist and asked him what he thought of me riding a bike, albeit at a reduced rate/effort. I wanted to keep moving forward, not only for the physical benefits, but at the time it was a much needed mental boost that I so desperately needed. The cardiologist enthusiastically approved with the stipulation that I take it easy. I should also note that he told me that he wished more of his patients would ask him if they could exercise.

So, on 02 May 2003, I embarked on my first bike ride post heart diagnosis. It was only a 4.76 mile ride, a little over 23 minutes, at 12.2 MPH average pace, and from there I have been pedaling ever since.

Although since I started have the MS issues over a year ago, I have kept myself to riding the bike in the basement on the trainer. More as a safety issue, since I have problems with my balance. I miss riding outside, and perhaps one day I will return to the open roads when my medical team gets things stabilized and under control.

As the late Jim Croce sang so wonderfully, Moving ahead, so life won't pass me by, which has become my battle cry. Every turn of the crank begets another, ergo another tenth of a mile, which appertains into miles, which then means that although I am riding stationary, I am that much ahead of two life altering diseases, that at times does its best to keep me down. As long as I am in the saddle, and pedaling, the diseases are at least for those brief moments, are behind me.

--gfo

No comments: