21 August, 2007

Goodbye Trot

In a surprise announcement earlier today, the Philadelphia Eagles released venerable linebacker, Jeremiah Trotter. The Eagles known not to be very friendly to players once they hit the 30 year old mark, cut Trot in favor of two younger, quicker middle linebackers Omar Gaither and Stewart Bradley.

Trotter who is a four time pro bowler played with tenacity and ferociousness and was beloved by the fans here in Philly, and he will be sorely missed. His presence in the middle of line was a key to Eagles defensive success over the past years.

I am sure he will be picked up by another team, and play out his remaining years with the same vigor that made him so successful.

As for the decision to let him go, well I can't say that I am surprised. As I stated above, the Eagles are known to be leery of keeping players beyond their 30's. As much as I see the point of keeping fresh young talent on the team, I always feel its good to keep veteran's around like Trotter to mentor younger players. Trotter may not be as fast as he once was but he is still a force to reckoned with, as the Eagles may soon found out.

Trotter will be missed in this city, and I hope for him that his career continues on.

Thanks for the memories JT.

--gfo

No comments: