10 July, 2010

Disgusted With The Polictical Party's and Process

For the last 24 years I have been registered to vote, I have been a registered republican. Although I have never voted the straight party line, I have on many occasion's cross multiple party lines and voted for other candidates. My personal beliefs and ideals used to be more in line with the Republican party, mostly the Reagan era party, not the party as it is currently constructed

I have gotten to a point in my life where I am so disgusted with both major party's and the lack of carrying for the constituents and how they pander more to the lobbyist and special interest groups.

I am almost to the point of switching my party affiliation to independent so I can't identify with either party, but by doing that, I eliminate my opportunity to vote in the primary election, because in Pennsylvania they have closed primaries where you can only vote for candidates for the party in which you are registered.

What this country really needs is a good, strong third or even fourth party, that actually cares about the people who elect them to office, and don't get in bed with the special interest groups and lobbyist. Why is that a party like has not made enough headway in this country to come to fruition. I would join it in a minute.

As the congress is laid out now, the republicans and democrats just bicker back and forth and nothing really gets done. Mostly everything is done along party lines, and no real work gets done. A third party with a strong block of members would force compromise and probably get some real things accomplished.

And while we are on the subject, term limits for our congress members would be a welcome change. I know it would require a constitutional amendment. I would love to see a member of congress with some real guts come forward and propose such an amendment. I would even be happy if it was effective with the newly elected and those currently in office, can ride out their terms until they retire or hopefully replaced.

President Obama has promised change, he has yet to deliver, maybe a member of congress can come forward and propose a change to the constitution.

If not one of them has the guts, it's time for we the people to elect representatives to our government, to put free thinking, open minded and most off all honest politicians, who are accountable to the people for whom they work for and were elected by.

That is the change this country needs.

--gfo

No comments: