11 July, 2008

Upcoming Surgery

Related to my blog post from 15 May 2008, I finally got to meet with the neurosurgeon a few weeks and I am scheduled for the Baclofen Pump, surgery on 31 July 2008. This will take will place at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital here in Philadelphia. After a few days in the hospital, I will be transferred to MossRehab hospital for a few weeks to get some physical therapy which came as a bit of surprise, but once it was explained to me the reason why, it made a lot of sense.

I will be out of work for about 6-8 weeks. Not sure how long I will be in rehab for and my subsequent time at home, so my actual time off could be more or less...hopefully the latter. I have the ability to work from home, so, if necessary I maybe able to split time between home and the office or work out some sort of other compromise, or just transition back slowly.

I have mixed feeling about going under the knife for this procedure, but one thing I can say with great certainty, is that something needs to be done. I have been having more issues with falls and general weakness overall in the last couple of weeks, so the implantation will certainly help.

Overall, I have not really given myself much of a chance to think about the mental aspect and preparation that I think I need. I am scheduled for some readmission's testing this coming Monday, so maybe things will then start to get the brain spinning.

So my summer will be cut short, but hopefully my fall will be better and there will be less of them, pun intended.

--gfo

No comments: