05 June, 2008

Thoughts On Forty


Well yesterday, I officially turned 40 years old. Where most people who turn 40 react in differently, I am taking a different approach, for me. As many of my readers already know, I have had a plethora of medical problems in the middle and late part of my 30's, so turning 40 was in mind a perhaps a chance to start anew. We'll see how things play out this. I know I am facing two surgeries, one to replace to defibrillator and the other to a baclofen pump in to help me with my muscle spasticity.

I have a few other challenges and issues that need to be addressed in the coming months, mostly related to my cognitive impairments that I have been facing. I have been putting off (read, stalling) on calling the doctors to find out how I go about addressing some of issues that came up during my neuropsych testing in January. I need to address these but I want to get the pump surgery done first before I subject myself to more pain and suffering.

I am mostly trying to keep a positive outlook, at least on the outside, I still have my moments where I feel lousy, tired, and have general fatigue, but I persevere and plod through.

As for the fortieth festivities. Tuesday, my twin brother and I, along with our wives went to the Phillies/Reds game. We had great seats, and were surprised (well I sort of expected it), that the wives had arranged for us to have happy birthday sung to us, and our names were posted on the scoreboard. We also got a couple of nice hat's, but most of all saw a great baseball game, the Phillies won 3-2.

The picture shown above, was what my office looked like when I walked in yesterday, compliments of my co-workers. I even had a set of beads that I had to wear all day that accentuated the fact that I did turn 40. We had a cake, and I got some funny cards, which are on display on my top shelf.
When I got home, I played some PlayStation with the boy until the Mrs got home, and I then proceeded to open my presents (two swimsuits, and four Phillies tickets), and birthday cards, then we had a nice simple dinner of hamburgers and hot dogs. Then the big treat, Carvel ice cream cake.

After that spent a nice relaxing evening at home, although I went to bed early as I was up late the night before...or I am getting old.
So far being 40 isn't too bad, let's see how the next ten years goes.
--gfo

No comments: